Wednesday, February 25, 2009

RANT

I was doing some research and I happened onto a city guide list generated by someone at TorontoLife. All good so far...except that many of the businesses on the list were closed, defunct. Many others had been purchased and re-named, err...branded. I do not know how old the guide is There was no posting date but it was on the current T.O. Life website. Much of it was useless. Perhaps they create a new one each year. I doubt it. And there is obviously no date or way to tell. USELESS. A magazine (on-line or off) should do better.

This is jut one example of how gunked up the internet seems to be. I may be visiting sites that I otherwise might not (definitely not in most cases...how useless IS n49.ca?) Have you ever tried to find a good review? Did you find one...and was it dated? And even when the info is dated, how relevant is that opinion from 2002 if the site hasn't been updated since then? Well, at least I know when it was written.

I have often thought that all information on the internet should be dated. It should be a law. I am sure when the results of search inquiries include such ancient useless information more site traffic is generated. Anything to possibly boost advertising revenue - I get it. It is all stored on a server somewhere out there. Probably not cost effective to have someone remove it. But at least if it were dated, I'd know more about that piece of news, opinion, review, etc.

And what's up with 2,000,000+ search results?  Does anyone ever look beyond the first couple pages before they modify their search terms and try again? Sorting by date might help, eh?
 

2 comments:

ErinOrtlund said...

Found this on the CIC website. http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/cec/index.asp

Never heard of it before but I wonder if you would qualify.

Anonymous said...

Oh God, I have the same problem with Ottawa. Everytime I try to look up info online, whether it´s restaurant listing, business etc. the lists are outdated.

I agree. Dating is the key... the internet would be such a great tool!